Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Here's a Subtle One ...

Dear Webmaster,
I recently came across hbclinux.net.nz through search and I really like it. I was wondering if you would like to exchange links with me?
You may be aware that exchanging links would be mutually beneficial and also very helpful in increasing traffic or visitors for both yours and my websites. If you are interested in exchanging links, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience and I will send you more details.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Best regards,
Sandy 
Yeah, I have some questions:
1. If you really visited my site, why didn't you use the feedback link there to contact me?
2. If you really visited my site, how come you have made no reference anything on it in you email?
3. If you really visited my site, then how come you don't know my name?
4. If exchanging links is to be beneficial, our sites need to be complimentary in some way ... yet you have provided no clue as to what your site is about. How come? The address is for firstkart.com, which is a gokarting site - how would you introduce a link to a linux site to readers of kart-racing stuff?
5. Why did you use a standard "canned" email typically used by scam artists?

That's right, this is a scam email. If you respond, the scammer will know that your email is active and will then add you to a spammers mailing list. As usual, googling the text of the email shows many thousands just like it.

If you want to link to someone from your site - just do it: this is the internet. It is polite to tell the owner of the linked page that you've done this, and they may link back to you in turn, but you don't have to.

When you want to communicate with a stranger online, you have to take steps to make sure you do not look like a scammer. Do not send generic emails, like above, that could apply to anyone or be from anyone. You like someone's website: tell them why.

No comments:

Post a Comment